Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Forgive and/or Forget? Totally up to you!

Someone who treats you like crap doesn't get a vote on this one. They don't have a right to your forgiveness; they don't get to erase their actions.

I mean, sure, you can forgive and forget-- if it helps you let go of anger and pain and grief, if it gives you peace of mind, if it's what you need to heal.

Or you can forgive, but not forget-- if the memories help you remember why you can't trust them, but forgiving them helps get them out of your brain.


Or you can forget, but not forgive-- you can shut out the things that hurt you so you can move on with your life, but refuse to give your abusers a free pass.

OR

You can neither forgive nor forget. You can say "No. You did these things to me, and you're not sorry, and you're not changing, and I don't want you anymore."

None of those options are either right or wrong. Everyone's needs are different, and in the end, you can do what you need to do to recover.



You have the right to take care of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do I know it's abuse?

I mean, maybe I'm overreacting.  Maybe I'm too sensitive. Or not patient enough. Or I just don't understand them?  If I trie...