Tuesday, November 19, 2019

The Three Rs


An apology consists of, well, the apology (regret).
  • I'm sorry I said X. I was stressed out because reasons.

A good apology consists of an apology and accepting responsibility.
  • I'm sorry I said X. I was stressed out because reasons, but that wasn't your fault.

The best apology consists of an apology, accepting responsibility, and working to fix the problem / finding a way to not do the same thing twice (remedy).
  • I'm sorry I said X. I was really stressed out, but next time, I'll just tell you I'm stressed out, and go calm myself down.

Here are some not-apologies. Do any of them sound familiar?:
  • If that hurt your feelings, I'm sorry.
  • I'm sorry you're so upset.
  • I'm sorry I made a mistake. I'm not perfect, you know, I'm only human!
  • Well, Other Person said I hurt your feelings and I should apologize, so I guess I'm sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do I know it's abuse?

I mean, maybe I'm overreacting.  Maybe I'm too sensitive. Or not patient enough. Or I just don't understand them?  If I trie...